Oct 24 , 2020
What on earth is glycation you ask? Glycation of the skin is one of the leading causes of skin ageing - it just gets less air time than the sun and those annoying annual birthdays ;) It's a chemical reaction, in your body, caused by the consumption of excess sugar.
In a very simplified explanation - too much glucose, combined with your natural collagen and elastin, causes a chemical reaction that destroys the support structures below the skin's surface (in the dermis layer).
What does this mean?
- Reduced suppleness of your skin
- Some skin sagging, bags under the eyes
- Fine lines and wrinkles are formed and become more pronounced
- Skin looses its radiance and becomes tired and dull looking
Sounds awful! How do you make it stop?
Because it is a natural process you can’t stop it, BUT you can slow it down. And I’m sure you know what I am going to say next…a lot comes down to diet.
This means where possible avoiding excess refined sugar, sugary drinks, syrups, cakes, biscuits etc.
Generally, to reduce the signs of ageing we want to do this and also...
- Sleep well
- Try to reduce stress where possible (easier said than done I know!)
- Exercise regularly
- Use good nourishing and hydrating skincare products
So beauties, do your skin (and your body generally), a massive favour and cut down on sugar where you can.
Image: Brooke Lark @ Unsplash